Mulvane was named in honor of Joab Mulvane, of Topeka, for his contributions that brought the railroad through Mulvane. During the early years, the railroad was Mulvane's main source of revenue. A book written about the history of Mulvane, was completed in 1977 titled, "The City of the Valley."
The city was founded in 1879 as a railroad/agricultural community and was incorporated as a city of the third class in 1883 and changed to a city of the second class on December 20, 2001. The original Certificate of Incorporation was filed Sept. 20, 1879, as the "The Mulvane Town Company." The name Mulvane was selected for the city after deciding Joab Mulvane was inspirational in developing the city.
Mulvane, Kansas (USA) is located on the county line between Sumner [SU] and Sedgwick [SG] counties, five miles west of the corner of Sumner, Sedgwick, Butler, and Cowley Counties. The altitude of Mulvane is approximately 1,320 feet with an annual rainfall of 30.3 inches per year.
The local government follows the form of Mayor/Council and serves a population of 6,100 people. Mulvane is a progressive city, with officials and community members alike, donating their time for the betterment of the community.
To learn more about Mulvane's history, visit the Mulvane Historical Museum located at 300 W. Main Street in the former Santa Fe Depot at the west end of Main Street downtown. The museum houses community historical information dating back to the 1800's.